Wednesday, September 12, 2007

..tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock tick tock....

Doctors know that time heals. Engineers know that time destroys.

Timing is so important in relationships. Close friendships have crumbled because one of us waited too long--to say hi, to say we're sorry, to say I need you.

A few recent incidents made me extremely aware of this concept. Minor mishaps that could be fixed, the route was extremely clear for both parties. But, we waited too long. We waited to run into each other at common events, we waited till geography worked in our favor, we waited till it was so convenient that it was harder to avoid.
"Oh hello! Long time, what are you doing here!!"
"Yes, I'm back. I wasn't gone too long was I? Now let's talk."

It doesn't work that way though. The time bomb just goes off and the bell rings and anything after that for some reason only makes things worse. Then, you can allow time to heal. But, time heals, time doesn't fix.

We're all human and we're all friends. And in friendship, so many lines are frequently crossed. The best thing about friendship is that the same rules that apply for other people do not apply to you. You're allowed special priveleges: you can wake me up at 4am and I won't kill you, you can tell me I cook bad, you can tell me my boobs are too small, and most especially, you will be forgiven for (almost) everything way too easily.

And yet, we use the Doctor viewpoint. We wait for Mr. Time to make things better so we don't have to use a high dose. Why don't I clean up the wound when its fresh? There is something that makes it so difficult for me to say the words 'Sorry. I was wrong.' and I think blaming the ego for yet another flaw is way too easy. It all comes down to choices. What is more important-this or that? And we chose 'that'.

Enter the good ol' Engineers.
'We know that':
Too much time = too much wear-and-tear,
also, Drift α Time.

We don't have our own tv show, we don't look sexy in our Fall Collection of Industrial Factory Wear, we get dark circles when we work nights, and we look out of place drinking fancy-colored cocktails. But, we fix things as soon as they break. Pick us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And now... totally confused.

V.