Friday, August 24, 2007

Work is Worship.

"I hate beggars! They do no work, they're perfectly healthy and they're begging. They can easily work in peoples houses cleaning and doing the dishes. They can easily get a job at a phone booth." I could think of more job options for them, than I can for myself with a Masters degree!
If I saw someone at my car window with even a bangle on her wrist begging, I would justify my not giving her money because at one point she chose to buy jewellery over food. I know, bitchy me doesn't have that many friends :)

Even being a teenager was no excuse for my arrogance. I still stand by my statement of healthy people not begging, though--just in a nicer tone.

During my study break for engineering exams, I'd study at home all day and sleep in the afternoon; this was the peak time for saleswomen to ring my doorbell trying to sell me mangos, soaps, even thicker-than-my-pillow sanitary napkins. Annoying would be an understatement. I'd walk to the door like Sanjay Dutt in Mission Kashmir going to intimidate the terrorist in the cell.
Day 1: It started with a simple "Nahi chahiye." Close door.
Day 4: "Time nahi hai." Close door.
Day 7: "Busy hai, disturb mat karo." Slam!
And gradually, "Get lost." Slam!

My mother heard me on this particular day and didn't say anything for a while. Then she asked "Wasn't that a little too harsh?" And I got into this huge rambling about how inconsiderate they were and how they were educated and spoke in good English and chose to do this for a living when there was so much else. "But they're working right? You hate beggars because they don't do anything. Salespeople are not beggars." Dead on!

"Nahi nahi, nahi chahiye." Smile. Close door.

2 comments:

Raingirl said...

Perspective! Only mothers can instill the 'right' ones in us. :)

drparikh said...

I am actually shocked she was so calmly talking to me, instead of scolding and biting my head off.

Eek, I'm gonna make an evil mom! :)