Thursday, August 23, 2007

Gray hair vs. Gray matter

I went to get my hair cut today at Tony & Guy 30 minutes before my appointment. But, the wait was far from boring. An old lady, about 70-80ish, had walked in about 15 min before me, and since the transparent glass doors were half closed, she hit her nose on one of them just like in those windex or whatever window cleaner ads.

Welcome to America, the cops were called. The old lady's nose was red/swollen and she sat there trying to tell the cops what happened, while I sat beside her. They took her story and tried to ask her if she had anybody she wanted to call. She lived all alone in an apartment a few blocks down and she had taken a cab to get to the mall. She got a little cranky as she said she was going to move next week and it was so sad this had to happen this particular week. Understandable, I think she wanted some sympathy.

But, when the cops took the salons' story, they lied that the door was not half-closed. And the old lady got extremely angry! Luckily, for her, another customer backed her story, and so the salon gave in. By now, it was a huge deal. She scolded the pretty girls behind the counter and said 'I was calm until this moment but when you lied, I am so angry now I am going to sue this place.' Again, everbody got down to calming this lady. Asking if she had relatives, kids, anyone. She had a caretaker that came once every two weeks to help her with grocery shopping, other than that this lady was pretty independent. She was even a little indignated when they kept asking her these questions, "Why are you asking me personal questions. I can take care of myself. I am pretty healthy."

So, now the cop tried to get her an ambulance. But, our protagonist claimed she couldn't afford it. She wanted the salon to pay for it. And, I gotta say, me in that situation, I would have just nodded and done what the cops said. Unlike her--she was firm. Everytime they asked to call an ambulance or a doctor, "That will be $ 600-700, I couldn't pay that. They will make me wait in the emergency room for hours before they help me..."

I couldn't help but slightly admire how sharp she was even at this age. She was really taking good care of herself and not getting pushed around or cheated.

Then, she asked to borrow a pen from me and said, "I'm going to take down the names in case I forget later." And now this just blew me away, I was thinking 'She's any lawyers dream-client' until she writes down carefully on the piece of paper--Tony & Guy.

I don't know if anybody else gets the irony in this story, but it sure did make me smile :)

4 comments:

Raingirl said...

Oye! You need to read my blog article on "grey matter"! Written earlier this year. Ha ha ha.....

drparikh said...

Hey I just did and kudos for the 'gradually turn pristine white' comment!

I have one white hair that my stylist NEVER forgets to point out. And I nod like I have a medal and say 'I know. Cool huh?'

But, more than one?!! OMG how will I deal!!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

Well said.

drparikh said...

Thanks, I didn't think anyone read my blog anymore! :)