Saturday, December 15, 2007

True Neutral

I spent a lot of time in my 7th floor balcony studying for engineering exams in the early am hours around 2-3ish. Everything on the street was more interesting than my books. The men slept on the pavements, very few cars zoomed by, the shops were closed and very strangely for Mumbai, it was silent except for the creaking of my unoiled swing chains. Even the slightest noise or movement got my notice, I was desperate to look for a way out of learning about bistable multivibrators and Schmitt triggers.

A major part of my attention was devoted to the workers of Azad Hind Dairy due to the clear view unblocked by trees. They closed shop in the late hours of midnight after mopping the floor, packing the sweets, upping the benches, and accounting. Finally, they pulled the shutters down and closed the store. Two slept on the step ledge of the shop by the shutters, and the rest arranged their sheets and covers on the pavement. Everyone talked for a while and fell asleep. At 3:30-4:00 am the milk van came and the ledge-sleepers were delegated the task of opening the store to restock, yawning and stretching.

One night, the Street Retard (I really don't mean to offend, just can't think of another word) was walking by as the men were trying to sleep. They called out to him and he naively and very happily crossed the street over to them. He was asked to 'do his thing' which pretty much meant being himself, and they humored him so he kept going. I was so touched that they were being so nice to the guy. The fellow was so so excited he made some friends and a few minutes later when he left, there was an unmistakable bounce in his step.

The men were now laughing uncontrollably. One of them was aping their 'friend' and the rest of them were in splits. It took me a moment to realize they were teasing him. I mean I've seen this kind of stuff on TV but in real life, it was unbearable. I can be a sap sometimes, even cried a little.

I think about this incident a lot because of it's irony. The men had their laughs, and their new pal considered it his lucky day--I was probably the only victim of this scene!

Merrrrrrrrrrrrrry Christmas, y'all :)

13 comments:

Binoy said...

Not related but this reminds me of incidents where I have been a victim of my own aggressive nature, where the supposed "victims" (poor souls/friends under my protection) and the "bad chaps" have gone on their own merry ways and I have ended up making not so good relations.

Merry Christmas.

drparikh said...

See, I wasn't involved. I was just watching. Yet, I was the only one that was negatively affected. The irony is that the poor chap misunderstood and I'm actually thinking that's a good thing!

When we're aggressive or overprotective, it hurts us the most, before and after. But, I don't know how to fix that--it's how we show we care, right? :)

Binoy said...

damn right. It's a problem I have encountered seeing things in black or white. Add to that aggression and its not a healthy combo :)

I don't have a fix to that but I have, gradually over a period of time, learnt to overcome the need to set things right/straight. Kinda like do what you think you need to do and let the rest just be. The "how we show we care" part is taken care of automatically.

I don't even know if this made sense to you (I tried to read it aloud as a neutral and it didn't). All I am trying to say is you could try and change things, become the revolutionary or then try and stick to just keeping that thing called "conscience" or whatever in check. What constitutes keeping it in check is everyone's own burden to carry.

drparikh said...

It's hard not to stick up for somebody or something you care so deeply about. When you stop its mostly because you get disillusioned/wisened depending on which way you look at it.

Which is what I also thought about especially in this particular situation where it is so blatantly clear. I could have chastised the men, but to what end?

Binoy said...

You mentioned that it hurts us the most when we're aggressive. After sometime you tend to question as to why am I needlessly inflicting myself with so much pain. I know I came to a point when I did.

You're right in a way that its hard not to stick up for someone you care deeply but now any such incidents doesn't get my life to a standstill. I try my best without working myself out. It's something I have been practicing for about a year now with good success. Sometimes it takes a jolt in life to realize that, I've had my share.

drparikh said...

Everyone learns sooner or later how to take care of themselves while taking care of others.

Achieving a 'true neutral' my interpretation of a materialistic nirvana ;)

Binoy said...

It took me lot more time than normal people I guess.

Aaah materialistic nirvana, now you talking. I've become shallow, thank you very much :)

drparikh said...

I've always been shallow!
It's so much easier :)

Binoy said...

I know!! I think I was slow to get there but now I have already reached embarrassing levels of shallowness.
You know I am conveniently avoiding a possible situation here and only looking forward to my Dallas trip spending Christmas with family. :)

P.S: Tell me it's ok. :)

drparikh said...

I am not the boss of you.







I am the boss of everyone!!!! :)
It's not ok.

Binoy said...

riiight. I've stopped looking forward now.

drparikh said...

Some very wise men would say 'Don't look forward or backward.'

Screw them. Enjoy your Christmas, do what YOU want! :)

Binoy said...

"Some very wise men would say" -- How wise are you to know that?
:)
You have a good one too.